What better way to learn how to protect your home from burglars than from burglars themselves? Nicholas Kyriazis was a burglar who has broken into and burglarized at least 100 homes. Now he is giving tips on how he did it and how you can prevent yourself from being targeted by other criminals.
Note: Nicholas Kyriazis has no affiliation with Hawk Security and these tips were extricated from a previous interview he had given.
- Have a neighbor collect your mail when you’re away. Uncollected mail in the mailbox signals to burglars that no one is home.
- Leave your car in the driveway or right out in front of your home. “If there are no cars in the driveway, there’s a good chance there is no one home,” Kyriazis says.
- Thieves often strike in the morning. While most people may think they are most vulnerable at night, while they are sleeping or when it’s dark out, Kyriazis says he typically burgled homes between 8 a.m. and 2 p.m. More than half of convicted burglars surveyed by WNBC in New York also said they targeted homes in the morning. This is a great reason to make sure you have an alarm system set before heading off to work.
- Have a neighbor watch your house. Kyriazis called neighborhood watch “one of the best things they ever started for burglary prevention.” Your home security service will install security cameras around your property, but it isn’t always enough. Having extra eyes watching throughout the neighborhood is key to preventing crime.
- Lock up when you leave. “I’ve never carried burglary tools,” Kyriazis says. Many people leave doors and windows unlocked, and thieves take advantage. Prevent anyone from getting easy access to your home by locking up, no matter how short your trip and no matter how safe you think your neighborhood is.
- Dogs can be a good deterrent. Kyriazis says a barking dog would give him pause because he didn’t know what kind of dog he was about to face. This is a potential threat intruders cannot get past and sometimes that’s enough to dissuade them.
- Never engage a burglar. Thieves and experts agree that if you come upon a burglary in progress, the best option is to leave, find a safe place, and call 911 immediately. If you confront a burglar, he, or she, may panic and attack. Even if the burglar gets away, it’s not worth risking your life.
Keep these tips in mind when protecting your home and prevent your house from being an easy target.
Original Article Here: TIPS FROM REAL BURGLARS FOR SECURING YOUR HOME
Related Article Here: Public Safety Experts: A Look at Home Security
Afraid of home burglary? Always check your locks and home security system! Locksmith Vinings GA is here to help you!